Thursday 12 April 2012

J is For J.K. Rowling



And her new book!

The Casual Vacancy will be J.K. Rowling's first foray into the adult genre. Dubbed a "black comedy" the novel opens with the sudden death of a popular man whose unexpected demise shocks the town. The battle for his seat on the local council sets off "the biggest war the town has yet seen," with rich people fighting poor, parents battling their teenagers, and wives in conflict with their husbands.

I loved Harry Potter but I'm not sure I'll love this one too. Only time will tell. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for her to know that Harry Potter was such a success and now the world is waiting to see if she can pull it off again. Talk about anxiety. Though J. might never allude to her fears, she is probably just as nervous as the rest of us.

Nonetheless, I'm excited for its September 27th release because it will be a blast to read a story all about Muggles. And wouldn't it be cool if some magical things happen that no one else in the book can explain except for we, the readers? I'll have a fanboy freakout! LOL.

12 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

I am excited to read this new book because she wrote it, but I wasn't excited by the plot.

It must be terrifying to put herself out there again after such a gigantic success. I really hope it goes well for her!

Unknown said...

I'm curious enough to buy it! And I'm prepared not to look at reviews before I get it. But I hope it does well because I'd quite like another great series like the HP one.

Sara said...

Sounds incredibly different from Harry Potter. And I love dark humor books.

PT Dilloway said...

I'm sure if I queried that idea no one would care, but prior success to the tune of a couple billion dollars gives you the freedom to do what you want. Anyway, black humor can be difficult. If I were her, I'd have just taken my money, bought a tropical island somewhere, and whiled away the rest of my days being served rum in coconuts with little umbrellas by monkey butlers.

Timothy S. Brannan said...

Love JKR and so looking forward to her new book.

I am trying to read all the A to Z blogs, but coming back to the ones I really like.
Looking forward to seeing what you do all month!

Tim
The Other Side
The Freedom of Nonbelief

M Pax said...

I'd love her career. I'll read her new book.

T.D. McFrost said...

PT Dilloway has got the right idea. I'd love that sooo much! LOL.

The plot sounds uninspiring but it's J.K. and despite the lackluster idea, her voice is amazing! I need another dose of her awesome talent.

Jay Noel said...

I think it's good for her to break out of the Harry Potter world. It sounds completely, utterly different. Maybe she's find a whole new audience.

T.D. McFrost said...

Let's hope so Jay. Fingers crossed.

Unknown said...

I would also like to read the book just to read something different from her, not really to judge, just to see how she rights in a different genre.

Unknown said...

I'm also excited about this new book. I think mainly to see how she will do something other than magic and Harry Potter. Maybe it's just curiosity but I'll give it a shot. Dark humor makes it sound interesting.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

It sounds kind of boring.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...